Stevia is a green leaf with natural sweet taste. It’s 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar, calorie and carbohydrate free. This sweet plant is nutrient rich, containing substantial amounts of Protein, Calcium, Phosphorous, Sodium, Magnesium, Zinc, Rutin, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and other nutrients, yet has no caloric value. Very Poor germination rate ranges 10% – 40% so, Stem cuttings of 15 cm length taken from leaf axils of the current year’s growth have been given better results.. Stevia is the healthiest natural sugar substitute and the most trusted natural sweet plants on Earth.
Soil and Climate:
Stevia grows well in sandy loam soils with an ample supply of water. Stevia prefers acidic to neutral soil with a pH range of 6.5-7.5 for its best growth. An annual average temperature of 31o C with a rainfall of 140 cm per year has been found optimum for its good growth. The day temperatures should not exceed 48oC and the night temperatures should not fall below 4oC
It has proven beneficial for many when used as a dietary supplement. Studies have shown the following benefits from using Stevia in one’s diet:
1. Helps reduce blood pressure;
2. Control blood sugar levels, unlike sugarcane sugar, does;
3. 100% Natural Sweetener;
4. Non-fermentable, non-discolouring;
5. Maintains heat stability at 95 degree and features a lengthy shelf life. Unlike artificial sweeteners, it doesn’t break down with heat, so you can learn to cook with it too.
6. Natural Flavor enhancer;
7. Acts as Plaque retardant Anti-caries and prevents cavities;
8. Non-toxic extensively tested and used by humans with no adverse effects;
9. It has an excellent healing capability without scarring if placed on a cut.